Reverse or Shorten a Permanent Loss of License After a 3rd DUI Conviction

If your privilege to drive has been permanently revoked under CGS 14–227a(g) because of a 3rd conviction for DUI you may still be eligible to petition the DMV to reverse that suspension or reduce the length of that suspension.

CGS 14–111(i) discusses the process and procedure for reversing or reducing a lifetime license suspension.

In order to apply for a reversal or reduction of a permanent license suspension, a person must be at least two years from the date of the permanent revocation. (In practice the DMV prefers for there to be a longer period of time before they will grant the application.) In addition, a person must not have any other suspensions or outstanding obligations on their license and all the other conditions for reinstatement must be met before the application will be entertained.

To start the process and applicant must request a hearing before the Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles for reversal or reduction of their permanent license revocation. This request must be sent in writing to the Department of Motor Vehicles and must state specifically the reasons why the applicant is entitled to the reversal or reduction. The Commissioner of the DMV shall consider each application and review each applicant’s driver’s record and then may grant a hearing. It is the Commissioner’s discretion whether to grant the hearing or not.

Once the DMV has received your written request for a hearing they will write back and provide a list of other obligations the applicant must meet in order for the application to be successful. The DMV will often require:

1) Proof that you have completed an operator retraining program;

2) A completed medical form (P- 142m) which a licensed doctor must complete on behalf of the applicant based on a personal examination that occurrs within 90 days of submitting the application;

3) A completed Form P263 “Authorization for Reversal or Reduction of Suspension”; and

4) A copy of the applicant’s criminal history which can be obtained for a fee from the State Police after you have been fingerprinted at the local police department.

Once the DMV has the information they have requested they will send written notice of the date, time, and location of the hearing. You are entitled to be represented by an attorney at the hearing. At the time of the hearing letters of recommendation and other documents in support of the petition will be accepted by the DMV and will be taken into consideration in their determination of whether the applicant has earned a reduction or reversal of their permanent revocation.

In order for the applicant to be successful in their request for a reversal or reduction of their permeant license suspension, they must show that the reversal or reduction will not endanger the public safety or welfare. In order to show that the applicant must provide evidence that will include, but not be limited to:

a) Proof that an alcohol or drug education and treatment program that has been completed since the most recent suspension or conviction.

b) Proof that the applicant has not been convicted nor had their operating privilege suspended for any offense related to alcohol or drugs in the prior two years.

c) Proof they have not operated a motor vehicle for two years.

If the request to reverse or reduce the permanent license suspension is granted the Commissioner of DMV will require the installation of an ignition interlocking device (IID) for life. This lifetime IID requirement can be reduced to 15 years from the date of the reversal or reduction but will require another application and hearing at the DMV.